Friday, June 24, 2011

Beer from the stock market.

I wanted to post this a while ago, but didn't have any time for it, due to me moving back to my parents'. It's been a bit chaotic now, but I try to update as regular as possible. Sorry if I kept you waiting a while. No model train updates this time, but a 3-beer special from the Bayreuther Bierbrauerei AG.

Some days ago I spotted this beer at the supermarket. A 6-pack of three beers from the Bayreuther Bierbrauerei AG. I had never heard of this company and the names of the beers were too unrealistic for me and I like strange unfamiliar stuff, so I bought it. The strangeness of the names was the fact that all started with 'Aktien', which means 'Share' (as in from the stock exchange), which is in a way somewhat poetic, as with your purchase of the beer, you buy a little piece of the company. So, that's pretty cool and humorous IMO. Could be me though, as the stock market is no laughing matetr (especially after the numerous recessions we've had). Next to that, there was a black beer in the pack, which is always a good reason to buy beer for me. Hahaha. So, after opening the pack, there were two beers of each kind, one Export/Dortmunder style beer, one Kellerbier (a German amber beer) and a Dark, lightly caramelised lager. I think this is pretty cool, having 2x3 kinds of beer. Well, it couldn't be more as this is the whole range of the brewery... A company concentrating on only three kinds of beer, so they can make them perfect. That seems like a good thing right? 

I've chosen to go from light to dark when testing this range (seems like the most logical thing to do). So now, let's start with the Export/Dormunder style beer. It's called 'Aktien Original 1857'. Don't know what it stands for, don't care, but I do know that I don't like beers with a year in the name... It's somewhat pretentious, as it will never taste the same as the original form that year. You know, with all the changed regulations, controlled mutations of wheat, usage of pesticides, etc. It influences the taste. But then again, calling the beer 'Aktien Export' would sound so cheap. No one would buy it. Anyway, for me, this beer tastes like your regular pilsner. Okay, maybe that's a bit unfair to the real pilsners out there, as it has a very middle-of-the-road kind of taste, but that's okay. It's a good starter for this in line. The after taste however is a bit of a surprise though. A slight taste of wood and licorice blends in with the otherwise bland taste. Pretty awesome, as this beer was ripened/stored in wooden barrels. You don't see that  everyday any more! So, I'm expecting a lot from the other two.
 
Now, after downing the previous one (which is just what it's good for, despite the wood flavour), it's time for the amber Kellerbier. The colour is not as dark as I was expecting, but still quite a bit darker then the Original 1857 one. This beer is called 'Aktien Zwick'l Kellerbier'. Zwick'l or Zwickeln means to taste beer in German brewers jargon. So, this should taste kind of special. It's an unfiltered beer, so maybe the good parts, that make the taste more interesting, stayed inside. The foam seems a lot more firm than the export one as well. The first sip tastes sweet and full. Though not as mouth filling as other beers of the same sort, it has a more prominent and sweeter wood taste, which isn't only present in the after taste. This is a fine beer. A nice compromise for a good drinking beer (like a good and honest pilsner) and a beer that one can solely enjoy for the taste itself (like a heavy Belgian beer). Next to that, the label of the bottle is a hell of a lot more interesting! Not so pretentiously modern and hand written Gothic fonts. Quite stylish if you ask me.
 
So, that was the Kellerbier. Now, let's try the Dark lager 'Aktien Landbier Dunkel Bier'. When pouring the beer into the glass, the foam is already having a good time. It's the firmest of 'em all!It gives off a nice an solid feeling. You know, like a good friend you can rely on or an old cabinet from your grandparents that's always there. Something robust, so it seems. The taste is also like that. A solid flavour which is gentle at the same time. Not like that heavy feeling you get when drinking dark beers, but more smooth. It's also quite light in alcohol compared to many other dark beers. However, don't be fooled that this is a beer that you can drink in larger amounts. It's a beer that should be drank slowly and enjoyed, as the wooden taste is even more present here. If you like it like that, youre drinking the right stuff, but it's a bit too strong for me. It makes the beer a little bit too sweet to my liking.
 
So, in the end, these three beers weren't as interesting as I've expected. Maybe it's unfortunate, but I'm happy to have tested these, as I'm always into something new when it's about beer. For me, of the three, the Zwick'l Kellerbier is my fvourite, which is strange, as I normally go for the black/dark beers. However, with this set, the dark one was too sweet for my doing. That doesn't mean I don't like it, I just think the Kellerbier was a bit better.

I'm sorry the reviews weren't that extended, but I don't have much time now. I need to move my stuff now. I hope to come across something interesting to review! So, see you after the weekend!

Cheers!

Toni

No comments:

Post a Comment